Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu, Muppets and Red-necks

Isn't it funny how just about every serious contagious disease starts with "flu like symptoms" (Dengue, Malaria, Swine flu, Avian flu, SARS, Ross River Fever), and also how as soon as the latest outbreak makes the news the hospitals the world over get flooded by Muppet's with "flu like symptoms" claiming to have swine flu even though the closest they've come to Mexico and a pig is a microwave pork burrito from a service station. Amazing!

Whilst I don't believe this latest outbreak is quite the threat that the media is making out(although I do feel for the families of the people who have lost their lives), I do hold grave concerns about the lasting effects the outbreak will have. I sense that as more people lose their lives in America, more and more rednecks in Texas and in fact all over the world will start sprouting rubbish about how this is perfect evidence of why immigration needs to be controlled.

If you are currently harbouring these thoughts as you read this, I beg you, please just take the time to think about it. Illegal immigrants don't spread contagious diseases; they simply die from them. These outbreaks are spread by rich people like you and I who jet around the world at an alarming pace! Then when we get sick, we simply pop a couple of codral and soldier on, ensuring that our germs are spread to every poor bastard on the subway/bus/train.

And for those currently suffering from "Flu like symptoms": WAKE UP... Its a COLD!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

I agree with you, A, on many points. In this age of "super fast" communication, news spreads at an alarming rate (accurate or not) and also can create unnecessary panic! Interesting to me that you mentioned "Muppets" in your post. The creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson, died at the age of 53 from what we call in the States, "walking pneumonia." He was merely experiencing "flu-like" symptoms but by the time they got him to the hospital...he was dead. Sad. Now....about that Texas and redneck comment! ha You know, though an American, I consider myself to be very open and liberal-thinking. I have no problem at all with the diverse peoples that live in America. I don't consider these folks to be a threat in any way....and actually am glad that they are creating a more diverse population in America. And I agree with you that there are many "unnecessary" scares around the world. I read tonight, however, that we have our first confirmed Swine flu death in America (an infant). And a NYC high school has shut down due to several dozen students falling ill after some students returned from a school trip to Mexico. Not sure what my point is here (ha ha, it's late)...just wanted to give some of my own opinions. Also interesting to me that the word I must type in to post this entry is "freari" which but for a couple of letters says, "Fear." :) Enjoying, as always, your insight, T.

al said...

just to be clear, I was referring to red-necks as a stand alone unit of moron, my reference to Texas was simply because Texas is closest to Mexico.

I didn't mean to imply that all Texans are red-necks!!

Teresa said...

ha ha ha! No problem at all! I'm from the hills of Tennessee. At least you didn't mention barefoot ridgerunners! :) I think the reason Americans aren't particularly fond of "redneck" is that in the south, there are lots of farmers. They got sunburned as they toiled in the field. Another possible contributing source of the term redneck comes from The West Virginia Coal Miners March or the Battle of Blair Mountain when coal miners wore red bandanas around their necks to identify themselves as seeking the opportunity to unionize. Okay...I got that last sentence from Wikipedia! ha Jeff Foxworthy, an American comedian, is known for his hilarious, "You might be a redneck if....." So here's a couple of my faves: You might be a redneck if you and your dog use the same tree. You might be a redneck if you've been married three times and still have the same in-laws. And my all-time favorite, "You might be a redneck if you think Genitalia is an Italian airlines." Okay...I'll shut up now!

Isa said...

I think that here in Tonga, where there are more pigs than people, the main concern about swine flu hitting our shores is for the health of the swine... ;-P

Dash said...

hahahaha muppets....

because I was freaking out about the bird flu outbreak near here recently everyone was giving me shit about swine flu, and was just like "why, i don't eat pigs and there's not a case of it here yet!?"

The media no days have a lot to answer for, their attention span seems just a little bit too long, either that or they have forgotten about how to go and find new news.

Seriously, the stock markets have only started recovering from the 'global crisis' when the media stopped talking about it.